If you are considering an inverter for home use, then you have come to the right place!
Today, almost everything we do is based on one thing: electricity. From cooking, washing dishes, even spending our free time, we use it somehow. More than just making life easier for us, it is now accepted that it is a necessity in today’s society. Regardless of the seasons, electricity is vital during the dark hours of the afternoon and for regulating the temperature.
The vast majority of people rely on power that comes directly from the grid, but an inverter and battery configuration can be useful in some circumstances, such as if you want to rely on solar energy or rely less on the grid.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about home inverters and recommend some of the most reliable inverter options.
- 1 What Power Inverter Size do I need?
- 2  Top 8 Best Power Inverters for Home Use
- 2.1 Why Get a Power Inverter for Home Usage?
- 2.2 Power Inverter for Home: Quick Buyers Guide
- 2.3 The Best Power Inverters for Home Usage
- 2.4 1. XYZ INVT Pure Sine Power Inverter
- 2.5 2. PowerJack Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- 2.6 3. POTEK 5000W inverter
- 2.7 4. MarchInn 5000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- 2.8 5. Royal Power PIC5000-12 5000W inverter
- 2.9 6. AIMS 5000 Watt DC to AC Inverter
- 2.10 7. Giandel 5000 Watt Heavy Inverter
- 2.11 8. AIMS 6000 Watt Heavy Inverter
What Power Inverter Size do I need?
To determine how much energy you need for your home, multiply:
WATT x 20% (Margin of Safety) = MINIMUM SIZE OF SAFE INVESTOR.
We recommend choosing the largest capacity your budget allows to prepare for your energy needs in the future. Your energy needs will likely increase rather than decrease over time.
 Top 8 Best Power Inverters for Home Use
XYZ INVT Pure Sine Power Inverter
|XYZ INVT 3000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 24V DC to 110v 120V AC with 2 AC Outlets 2 Sets of Battery Cables, Power Converter for Home Solar System, RV, Camping.(3000W24V)||Check On Amazon
PowerJack Pure Sine Wave Inverter
|PowerJack DC 12V 8000W LF Split Phase Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V and 220V 60Hz, with 110V BTY Charger Function, Peak Power 32000W||Check On Amazon
POTEK 5000W inverter
|POTEK 5000W Power Inverter 4 AC Outlets 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 2 USB Ports||Check On Amazon
MarchInn 5000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
|LNLN 5000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Dc12V to Ac 220V Power Converter Booster for Car Inverter Car Electronics Household DIY,12V-220V-5000W||Check On Amazon
Royal Power PIC5000-12 5000W inverter
|5000 Watt Power Inverter 12 Volt DC To 110 Volt AC with 50amp Charger and Auto Transfer Switch||Check On Amazon
AIMS 5000 Watt DC to AC Inverter
|AIMS Power 5000 Watt 12Volt DC Power Inverter to 240Vac 60Hz||Check On Amazon
Giandel 5000 Watt Heavy Inverter
|Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter 3000 Watt DC12 Volt to AC 120 Volt with Remote Control and LED Display Dual AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Boat by GIANDEL||Check On Amazon
AIMS 6000 Watt Heavy Inverter
|AIMS Power PICOGLF60W24V240VS 24 Volt Pure Sine Inverter Charger, 6000 Watt Low Frequency Inverter 110/220Vac Split Phase, 18000 Watt Surge, Battery Priority Selector, Terminal Block, GFCI||Check On Amazon
Why Get a Power Inverter for Home Usage?
1. Easier and Safer to Operate than Generators
If you need electricity for a few devices at the same time, an inverter is a perfect backup for your home when regular electricity is not available. Inverters simply need to be connected to a car battery and are simpler than most generators. Most inverters come with the necessary cables for connections, making installation easy.
2. High-Quality Electrical Output and Parallel Capability
The technology used in the operation of generators allows them to provide an output power that matches the necessary requirements of the home. The inverters can also be combined with other inverters in case additional power is required. This is because inverters are capable of parallel connections, allowing you to use two small, lightweight inverters instead of bulky generators for a variety of applications, whether for outdoor or home use.
If you plan to use a home inverter, safety maintenance is more important than ever. In general, classic generators require regular maintenance to ensure that the electrical power remains at an optimum level. In addition to an overhaul, it is also necessary to change the oil or fuel every 200 hours of use. Unlike generators that require regular maintenance, all inverters require an annual battery inspection.
Power Inverter for Home: Quick Buyers Guide
1. AC waveform
The smoother and firmer the AC waveform, the better the quality of the inverter. For sensitive loads, such as small electronic devices, a sine wave inverter is recommended. Smaller homes, such as cabins or homes that don’t have sensitive loads, can still use a custom square wave inverter with no harmful results. These square waves do not change as drastically as that of a pure sine wave, making it a cheaper purchase.
2. Power Rating
Determining power is critical for off-grid inverters because they provide all the power needed for AC loads. These inverters come with detailed information explaining their continuous power and short-term “surge” capabilities.
3. Idle power consumption
While efficiency is important when using these off-grid power converters, you also need to ensure that they remain efficient even when not in operation. It is important that it consumes as little power as possible when switched on, also known as tare or idle power consumption. An inverter can consume up to 50W for this, and some can consume much less at 10W.
These small changes can lead to changes in energy consumption, consuming 1 kWh or more. A group of off-grid inverters can use a search mode for lower power consumption at this stage, which consists of disabling the functions of this inverter except the search function when no load is present.
This is beneficial, as many homes require continuous AC power, including answering machines and security systems, which negates any potential for energy savings in search mode.
4. Battery voltage
The nominal battery voltages used for off-grid inverters are typically 12 to 48 VDC, and an increase in power and conversion efficiency is optimal for inverters with voltage ratings of 24 and 48 VDC. The larger inverters are designed for larger batteries up to 240 VDC, but in these cases experts are needed to install, even for different battery constructions.
Using 48 VDC battery tanks is not that economical and can also be dangerous unless you need a larger system size, over 30 kW. Remember that you still need to power your batteries somehow, the obvious option is with solar panels.
Usually, off-grid inverters generally come with AC transfer switches and a built-in battery charger, allowing a stable backup source connection to recharge the battery if it is insufficient.
6. Surge power
A peak is defined as a large amount of energy released in a short period of time that is required at start-up in the generators and inverters. AC motors, pumps, and power tools are just some of the devices that require a power surge.
7. Conversion efficiency
Efficiency is measured by the amount of power available to the AC loads being fed. The efficiency ranges of the inverters are typically 70% and some can be as efficient as 96%. Performance depends on how much the AC loads are fed, in addition to the properties of the given waveform. For low power levels, typically 100 W or less, a very low efficiency of only 25% to 50% can be expected.
8. Neutral/ground switching system
The AC transfer switch is where the main difference between an off grid inverter and a mobile inverter will increase. To ensure that no ground fault occurs as long as the RV boat is connected to the ground or on a pedestal, mobile inverters generally add switching circuitry, allowing output neutral and ground conductor connection by adding more circuits.
This will help prevent a ground fault which can lead to electrocution, electric shock or even death.
9. Backup AC load panel
You never really know when you will need more electricity hence the need for a battery backup system. Backups generally require an AC circuit load panel to keep it running in the event of a failure. Getting a backup can be time consuming as you need to install the panels and wire the individual circuits.
Batteries are where the energy comes from to run a device. They should be handled with care, especially in places with more than one season. They should be kept warm in winter and cool in summer. Batteries should also be kept in a safe place away from pets and children. Most batteries will last between three and 12 years, depending on capacity, usage and classification.
The Best Power Inverters for Home Usage
Available in a variety of wattages, the XYZINVT Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter can convert an output power of 24 VDC into a nominal voltage of 110 V to 120 V AC, making it suitable for most homes in the US. It comes with an MCU LED display that allows you to easily check the AC voltage and DC voltage to better check the working status.
XYZ INVT 3000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12v to 110v 120v DC to AC with 2 USA Outlets 2 Set of Battery Cables, Power Converter for Home Off Grid, Solar System, RV.(3000W12V)
- 【Heavy Duty 12 Volt Inverter】 This 3000W inverter delivers up to 3000 Watts of continuous power and a maximum peak power of 6000 Watts. It is a 60Hz high frequency inverter that converts its 12 volt battery power into 110V 120V AC with a perfect pure sine waveform, as stable as city grid power.
- 【Multiple Applications】 Equipped with 2 US plugs (max. 15A) and a wiring terminal block (max. 25A), this inverter can power multiple devices at the same time. Compared with the modified wave inverter, it can efficiently power sensitive household appliances without damage, with less electrical noise, and save battery power with less consumption. Perfect for controlling your TV, laptop, drawers, chain, freezer, microwave, coffee makers, air conditioners, etc.
【Stable and Safe Use】 You can ground this inverter in 2 ways. This inverter is also designed with protection against low voltage, high voltage, overcurrent, reversing, overload, sudden overvoltage, overheating, etc. The dual smart cooling fan system automatically turns on to dissipate heat when the inverter gets hotter.
- 【Easy to Operate】 Product dimensions 14.2 * 9.7 * 3.7 inches, weight 11.5 lb. It can be mounted face up or on the wall to fit your custom off-grid solar power system. Due to its compact travel size and portable weight, it is also a good choice for your happy motorhome and camping life.
- 【Package Includes】 3000 Watt Inverter * 1, battery cable, 1 bag of spare fuses for replacement, user manual and warranty card. We provide 1 year warranty and lifetime technical support for this item. If you have any questions during the operation, please contact the seller directly.
Its small size makes it the perfect inverter for home use in all types of uses from camping, RVs, trucks, lights, microwaves and all other electronic devices regardless of their sensitivity. It also comes with an efficient temperature control to prevent the unit from overheating by a dual fan system, which also helps keep the unit stable.
It is also capable of powering multiple devices at once, especially in the case of small electronic devices. It has low idle power consumption, which minimizes circuit loss and maintains operation at optimum levels. Finally, it comes with an automatic shutdown system for overvoltage and undervoltage incidents.
Incidents were reported about the device not working in the best way, having only been in use for a few days. Despite that, it was quickly replaced and the warranty honored.
If you are looking for a device with a peak power of 20,000 W and an LF capacity of 5000 W, the PowerJack Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter is for you. It is capable of converting voltages from 12V DC to 110V AC and comes with an LCD display for better current control. Since it operates in a pure sine wave, it is available for sensitive loads and can drive various devices with motors, motors, as well as televisions and special lamps with a high power factor.
The device has an auto-detect feature to ensure that the device is getting just the right amount of magnification, as some devices require more power to start up. While other inverters require manual adjustment, this one does the adjustment itself.
It also has a high efficiency of 92%, with parts manufactured by the most reputable suppliers around the world. It also has a UPS system to properly shut down the unit when there is a sudden power outage.
It can suddenly shut off at 3000W of use and sometimes it suddenly loses functionality after only a few months of use, with two months of use in the shortest of cases.
This sine wave inverter supplies 5000W of continuous DC power to an AC power supply, with a maximum power of 10,000W, enabling it to power various household appliances, making it the ideal inverter for home use.
POTEK 5000W Power Inverter 4 AC Outlets 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with Bluetooth and 2 USB Ports
- [5000 WATT BLUETOOTH POWER INVERTER] Provides 5000 watts of continuous power, 10,000 watts peak power to charge your multiple electronic devices on the go
- [MULTIPURPOSE CHARGING] Four power outlets and two USB charging ports, perfect for electrical conversion variants such as water dispensers, air compressors, refrigerators, chests, electric chainsaws, etc.
- [UNIQUE DESIGN] Design with Bluetooth wireless remote control system, you can download the connected app to control the inverter within a single range of 33 feet.
- [INTELLIGENT TEMPERATURE CONTROL] The built-in cooling fan only starts working when the temperature is above 104℉ and 6 internal fuses make it safer when using the inverter, ideal for use on the road, in camps, remote workstations or anywhere There is AC power required
- [MULTIPLE PROTECTION] This inverter has overvoltage, overload, overcurrent, undervoltage, overheating and short circuit.
Its biggest advantage is that it comes with 4 power outlets plus 2 USB charging ports that allow better electrical conversion for a variety of devices. It also comes with protection against electrical accidents such as over voltage, over current, under voltage and short circuit. The smart cooling fan also only works when the temperature reaches 104 degrees Fahrenheit, making it more efficient. The package also comes with the necessary power cables. Its high current capacity makes it the perfect companion for power outages.
While it has great features, a major drawback is that the build quality is inconsistent, as several products reportedly stop working after just a few days of use.
This pure sine wave inverter is perfect for you if you need a power supply that provides clean AC power for sensitive devices. Not only is it one of the most powerful at 5000W, but it also comes with a panel and digital display, making it a smart inverter. Like other devices, it also comes with multiple protection and can carry 120V of voltage.
MarchInn 5000W (10000W Surge) Pure Sine Wave Solar Power Inverter Off Grid 24V DC to 110V 120V AC Power Converter Solar Panel, RV Home Car Use 24 V Generator Smart-D Digital Display
Smart is the perfect term to describe this pure sine wave inverter as it comes with an IC chip that enables a more efficient conversion rate. It comes out at an impressive 90%, making it 10% higher than traditional inverters. Since it is a pure sine wave, it can be used in more devices, especially the most sensitive ones. This high rating is attributed to pure copper cabling. For better control of voltage and power levels, it also comes with an LED display.
This pure sine wave inverter doesn’t have as many outputs as it should, so you may need an extension cord.
If you’re looking for a modified sine wave inverter that’s rugged and delivers 10,000 watts of peak power, this is the one for you. This unit works best for generators and other larger appliances because it is designed with a large capacity. The direct connection to the battery tank is no problem at all, as the cables you use to install it are also capable of large current overloads.
- 5000 watts continuous power
- 10,000 watts peak power
- Built-in 50A battery charger and 50A automatic transfer switch
- Anodized aluminum housing ensures durability.
- Heavy task
In addition to the large capacity, it also has 6 impressive plugs with which you can directly connect your devices and other devices. The housing is made of anodized aluminum which makes it light, strong and strong. It also comes with a built-in 50 amp battery charger, along with a 50 amp automatic transfer switch, making it the perfect device for turning on different devices as well.
Those who use power converters for the first time may find it difficult to operate as the purchase does not come with an instruction manual.
Another great inverter on the list is this modified sine wave inverter from AIMS. Apart from the 5000 watt model, it comes in different watt ratings, from 2000 to 10,000 watts. It has many protective features not found anywhere else and is one of the most robustly built inverters on the market.
- 5000W maximum continuous power
- Red LED indicates overheating and overload
- Volt and ammeter
- Single cooling fan operation
- AC output short circuit protection:
The unit has an ammeter for better current draw and has 4 AC outlets, reducing the need for extension cords to power more than one unit. It also comes with a working cooling fan, aluminum housing and ammeter for better construction. All these features make it a perfect power system in case you need some backup for your homes and even vehicles.
The output voltage may not be consistent at times. Installation can be tricky because the output voltage depends on the wires. Other than that, there are no major drawbacks.
This Giandel Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter is guaranteed by his company of high quality. It is capable of providing 5000W AC, comes with 4 AC outputs and converts power to 120V for use in a variety of devices. It can be connected directly to GEL and SLA batteries, as well as to a solar panel with up to 600W.
Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter 3000 Watt DC12 Volt to AC 120 Volt with Remote Control and LED Display Dual AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Boat by GIANDEL
- 【3000 Watt Inverter】 This is a 3000 Watt (Modified Sine Wave) 12 Volt DC Inverter, providing 3000W continuous power and 6000W peak. 12 V DC to 120 V AC with cables, black and red battery connection cables, ring terminals, remote control, 2 US standard plugs, 2 silent cooling fans with temperature control.
- 【Wide Application】 3000W heavy duty inverter suitable for trucks, RVs, boats or emergency power outages due to storms, hurricanes. USB automatically detects your device and charges it faster up to 2.4A.
- 【Remote Control & LED Display】 Inverter with Remote Control: 15ft cable length, long cable helps you control the inverter ON/OFF with ease. LED display to easily see the input voltage, output power.
- 【Safety Protection】 Isolated input/output design, soft start technology and total safety protection: overvoltage, overload, overcurrent, undervoltage, overheating, short circuit protection
- 【What You Get】 A 3000W modified sine wave inverter, 1 external wired switch with 15ft cable, 2 black and 2 red 5.0 AWG battery cables with ring terminals, 1 user manual, shockproof pads, 18 months warranty and Giandel friendly customer service. Read the operating manual before using this inverter.
It comes with staple protection mechanisms for electrical faults such as low and high voltage, short circuit, soft start technology to prevent sudden power surges, all thanks to the fuse reverse polarity protection and an automatic reset function. The cooling system is also smart, making this machine energy efficient. The construction is robust and the current owners claim to have a long life.
Some products did not arrive in perfect condition. Furthermore, this inverter seems quite reliable and robust.
Another modified sine wave inverter worth getting from AIMS is this 6000-watt inverter. It is a kind of pure sine wave and is best for the most sensitive electrical appliances. The smart battery charger is also built-in and has different settings for the battery type. It is one of the strongest inverters out there as it is marine and industrial grade.
AIMS Power PICOGLF60W24V240VS 24 Volt Pure Sine Inverter Charger, 6000 Watt Low Frequency Inverter 110/220Vac Split Phase, 18000 Watt Surge, Battery Priority Selector, Terminal Block, GFCI
- POWERFUL: 6000W continuous, 18000W for 20 seconds, 24 VDC, 50 amps, 120/240 VAC split phase, pure sine wave clean power, low frequency, automatic transfer switch and 85A smart battery charger for 8 technologies of different batteries, including lithium. Requires a 240 VAC input to charge
- PROTECTIONS: Overload, over temperature, high voltage, low voltage, short circuit, low and high voltage alarm with internal fuses, cooling fan and insulated neutral.
- FEATURES: AC Direct Connect terminal block, charge current controller, DIP switches for priority setting, auto build start, conformal coating, power save mode and battery temperature sensor. Only one set of cables is required. Optional remote control available.
- APPLICATIONS: Ideal for large applications that automatically switch shore/generator and inverter back and forth. Homes, boats, RVs, solar, work trucks and mobile businesses. 24 volts more efficient and can use smaller cables. Off-grid and backup power.
- TRUST GOALS: Buy with confidence. More than 20 years in business. All Nevada technical and warranty support.
It has many features not found in other modified sine wave inverters, including automatic generation start functions and a maximum power of 18,000 watts. It can also produce more than 120 V. Specifically, it can produce 110,120,220,240 V AC and can automatically detect frequencies from 50 to 60 Hz.
The biggest complaints about this machine are the constant beeps and lights that go out while the machine is running.